RIPT Apparel’s Ultimate Summer Playlist
With summer just around the corner — or already here for our friends down south — we went ahead and compiled RIPT Apparel’s Ultimate Summer Playlist. From feel good bangers, to mellow, chilled out tunes, this playlist has a little something for everyone. Say goodbye to your worries and relax into summer with a playlist that will take you to your own personal happy place.
My summer playlist melts old and new jams into a prime selection. Most of my picks range from indie to synth-pop to alternative (with a splash of reggae in there). Summer needs to be centered around percussive sporadic dancing, chilling on tall glasses of ice cold beers, catchy as hell guitar swells, and overall good vibes. You’ve been waiting all year for this season. Roll down your windows, turn up the volume, and jam out!
- Santeria – Sublime
- Money – The Drums
- Bad Habit – The Kooks
- Island in the Sun – Weezer
- Down in the Valley – The Head and the Heart
- Girls Like You – The Naked and Famous
I’ve always felt that music is very seasonal, and it’s always fun to pull out my summer albums when the time comes. The first to come out are usually the albums that I listened to religiously when I was younger, and would spend my summer days delivering pizza in the brutal Tennessee summer heat. My selections are songs that sort of encapsulate those memories for me. Good times.
- 7/4 (Shoreline) – Broken Social Scene
- I’m Not Afraid – Fleming & John
- Ballad of Big Nothing – Elliott Smith
- Carry the Zero – Built to Spill
- MCMXIV – Ratboys
- Daydream – Smashing Pumpkins
Summer music to me is anything from upbeat feel-good songs you can blast on the stereo to timeless classics that bring back memories of carefree summers spent with friends and family. The first two songs fall into the second category for me. After that I picked some catchy hip-hop to get you pumped up for summer, followed by some kickass rock & roll, and finally some deliciously funk-filled electronica and some tropical house to get you groovin’.
- Sympathy For The Devil – The Rolling Stones
- The Suburbs – Arcade Fire
- Angels (feat. Saba) – Chance the Rapper
- Drones In The Valley – Cage The Elephant
- I Sat By The Ocean – Queens Of The Stone Age
- Good Times Roll – GRiZ
- Old Thing Back (feat. Ja Rule and Ralph Tresvant) – Matoma
This list is a great mix of old and new. The summer is all about energy. These songs have great beats and baselines that just make me want to enjoy the here and now, something of which we don’t do enough. Windows down, aviators on, good vibes on the stereo, and friends ride or die is what summer is! That’s what these songs represent.
- Higher Ground – TNGHT (Hudson Mohawke x Lunice)
- Born and Raised in Compton – DJ Quik
- Summer Breeze – Seals & Crofts
- Electric Boogie (The Electric Slide) – Marcia Griffiths
- With You – Drake ft PARTYNEXTDOOR
- Same ‘Ol Mistakes – Rihanna (Tame Impala)
- Smiley Faces – Gnarls Barkley
Summer songs don’t just have to be about summer, they almost give you the chills that means school’s out, the work day is over, and it’s time to let loose! A good summer song has to sound great while you’re speeding down the highway and that’s what my weird collection of songs is for.
- Walking on Glass – The Movie Life
- Sex – The 1975Echobo – Anamanaguchi
- Echobo – AnamanaguchiNight by
- Night by Night – Chromeo
- Shut the Club Down – Girl Talk
- Go All the Way – The Raspberries
Swans keeps it weird with some drone-y bologna! Then Baroness comes in hot from riff factory! Before ya know it Neko Case sweeps in and gives us a catchy number to swing along to! Following that we throw it back to the dunk-y funk-y 80’s with the cool kat’s in Orange Juice. And finally we exit with the coolest kat’s in town, Dr. Jazzy Jeff and The Freshest of Princes. Stay Frosty!!
- A Little God in My Hands – Swans
- Wanderlust – Baroness
- Man – Neko Case
- Rip It Up – Orange Juice
- Summertime – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
The first song should be renamed to “ice-cream cake by the ocean” and then boom, you’ve got the perfect way to spend time at the beach. The next song is perfect for chillin’ in the summer night, possibly by a campfire. And finally, if you’re ready for a good time…
- Cake By The Ocean – DNCE
- September – Earth, Wind & Fire
- Good Time – Owl City, Carly Rae Jepsen
That’s RIPT Apparel’s Songs of the Summer Playlist! What’s on your summer playlist?